Sunday, June 28, 2009

Relay for Life



This semester I have been in charge of creating a team for Beehive Federal Credit Union to participate in the Relay for Life. It was a very amazing experience. Relay for Life is run by the American Cancer Society. Teams get together and do fundraising to raise money for cancer research. Then they have an all night relay walk. This year it was at the Madison High School Track. I went with Stephanie Vinson and Ansley Bunnel to set up around 2 pm on Friday. After we set up our canopy we went to the store to buy a few more things. We pulled up to the track just as a huge storm hit. We got there just in time to see our canopy blowing across the field. We ran and caught it and took it down. The storm lasted about an hour and a half. We were so worried that no one was going to show up for the relay. The storm blew over and we had sunny skies when it started. My roommates Morgan Roberts and Charlotte Reed were on the team with me. We spent all night playing games, laughing, and walking the track. Someone from your team had to be on the track at all times during the Relay. It ended at 6:30 am. Because of the rain storm we had the air was so humid. Our blankets, coats, and chairs were soaking from it. Some of our friends can and walked with us at 2 am to help us stay awake. We were so wet and tired by the time we got back to our apartment and crawled into bed! Yes, I stayed awake all night. I am very proud of myself.

Two parts of the program really struck me. For the opening ceremonies they had all the cancer survivors walk the first lap. Then as it got dark they told a story about what HOPE stands for and then they lit luminaries in the stadium that spelled HOPE. Then they had everyone walk the track once. While we were walking they changed the word to spell CURE. We only got a picture of the CURE. It was a very touching night and I am excited to do it again next year. It was worth no sleep!

Charlotte, me, and Morgan trying to stay awake. Charlotte did not make it all night.

My friend Patrick Barrus was there on a different team

Fake slow walking, no Morgan is not punching me

This was taken at 3 am. I think our faces all tell a different story of how we felt right then. I would recommend clicking on it to see it big.

3 comments:

Taresa said...

What an amazing experience Angie! I'm sure it was worth not getting sleep! A job well done, I'm proud of you! You're amazing Angeroni!!

Taresa said...

What an amazing experience Angie! I'm sure it was worth getting no sleep! I'm proud of you! Never forget how AMAZING you're!!

maromom said...

Good job Angie, Morgan, and Charlotte. What a great experience.
Mom